The Kuala Lumpur Architecture Festival (KLAF), an annual architecture festival held in Kuala Lumpur, was officially launched on 15 Feb 2020 at PAM Centre, Kuala Lumpur. The launch was officiated by the Minister of Housing and Local Government, Zuraida Kamaruddin.
Organised by Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia (PAM), the professional body for Malaysian architects, the annual event is open to the public. KLAF is the main event on Malaysia’s architectural calendar. It is organised to inspire Malaysian architects with ideas and provide a platform to elevate the architecture industry in the country.
The theme for 2020 is “Beyond” and it seeks to look beyond the ordinary and mundane. To evolve beyond the same old way of doing things.
The four sub-themed events as are follows:
- ‘Beyond Celebration’ in February focuses on celebrating unity among Malaysians with its Chinese New Year Open House, keynote talks celebrating architecture, sketching sessions and the launch of The Malaysian House Competition, as well as building and district visits.
- ‘Beyond Green: Wellness’ in April focuses on greening Malaysia by promoting green school projects, nett zero houses, urban farming and more.
- ‘Beyond Architecture’ in July celebrates the art of architecture beyond conventional architectural forms.
- Architecture, Interior Design & Building Exhibition (Archidex) and The International Architectural Design Conference (DATUM2020) will also be held in July.
- ‘Beyond Imagination’ in August celebrates creativity among students, youths, academia, and professionals.
It is an opportunity for architects from all over Malaysia and overseas to meet and share their ideas and aspirations. This year’s theme ‘Beyond’ aims to inspire the architectural fraternity and the public alike with ideas that are beyond the ordinary. KLAF is a significant event to PAM in driving excellence in the field of architecture and sets the standards for best practices and education,” said PAM President Ar. Lillian Tay
As part of PAM’s sustainability and recycling promotion, KLAF 2020 was launched in conjunction with PAM’s Chinese New Year Open House. The public was treated to a spectacular acrobatic lion dance performance and a tour around PAM’s green building, as well as a carnival sale of pre-loved items with more than 50 stalls at APW, Bangsar.
The launch of KLAF 2020 continues the following day with more engaging activities based on the theme Beyond Heritage Conservation.
The day included talks on heritage conservation and a walkthrough tour to various buildings of interest such as Chocha, Lantern Hotel, Jao Tim, Chan She Shu Yuen and Mingle Hostel + Cafe in the Petaling Street area, where PAM took the time to educate on the history and interesting stories of the bygone eras. The day also included a collaboration programme with Kuala Lumpur Urban Sketcher.
Those who are keen to be part of KLAF2020 can learn more about the events and register their participation via the KLAF app which can be downloaded via Playstore or App Store
– Construction+ Online
Visit https://www.facebook.com/KLAF2020/ for more information about KLAF 2020.