Singapore unveiled its National Artificial Intelligent Strategy (NAIS) on 19 Nov 2019. This was announced by Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister of the Smart Nation Initiative and Minister for Foreign Affairs, at the Smart City Expo World Congress in Barcelona.
The National Artificial Intelligence Strategy (NAIS) maps out a concrete plan to develop and deploy digital and artificial intelligent (AI) technologies across key economic sectors. The strategy focuses on harnessing AI to transform Singapore’s economy and improve the lives of its citizens. AI is a multipurpose technology which can be implemented in any field or industry, ranging from cancer diagnosis to urban planning and fraud detection.
Nine sectors will be at the forefront to the strategy: transport and logistics; manufacturing; finance; safety and security; cybersecurity; smart cities and estates; healthcare; education; and the government.
“The National AI Strategy is a key step in our Smart Nation journey. It spells out our plans to deepen our use of AI technologies to transform our economy, going beyond just adopting technology, to fundamentally rethinking business models and making deep changes to reap productivity gains and create new areas of growth,” Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong said.
Singapore’s vision is to be a leader in developing and deploying scalable, impactful AI solutions in key sectors of high value and relevance to its citizens and businesses by the year 2030. As such, the country is embarking on strengthening five national AI projects and building on its AI ecosystem enablers.
National AI Projects
- Intelligent Freight Planning – to optimise the movement of freight to improve productivity for businesses and traffic efficiency.
- Seamless and Efficient Municipal Services – to make municipal services more responsive, reliable and timely.
- Chronic Disease Prediction and Management – to help prevent and better manage chronic diseases.
- Personalised Education through Adaptive Learning and Assessment – to help teachers to better customise and improve the learning experience for every student.
- Border Clearance Operations – to strengthen border security while improving traveller experience.
– Construction+ Online
Source: Singapore’s National AI Strategy